Don't know how to shut off your utilities right before a disaster strikes? Here's what you need to know:
During cases of emergency, power surges after the storm can damage electronics, and flooded appliances can also create safety hazards.
- Shut off all the individual circuits, then turn off your main circuit. It is also useful to label the individual circuits.
- Shut off your water.
- Cracked lines can also pollute your water supply to your home, so check in with local authorities before restoring your water.
- Shut off your natural gas.
- Locate the shutoff valve connected to the gas line, and turn the switch perpendicular to stop the gas flow.
- If you expect a gas leak, immediately evacuate the house and DO NOT turn off your gas. Contact your local natural gas provider, and have a professional assess the situation. Natural gas leaks are attributed to numerous home fires.
How will YOU prepare?